The following ingredients are suggested in
John Michael Greer's book "Monsters -
An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings"
- Blessing Incense - Frankincesnse,
Rosemary, Sage, Vervain
- Banishing Incense - Asafoetida,
Cedarwood, Mugwort, Myrrh
- Steel Bladed Athame, Ritual Dagger or
Trident of Paracelsus
- Portable Censer, Charcoal,
Waterproof/Windproof Matches, Folding Fan
- St. John's Wort Red Oil of Protection
- Kosher, Sea or Black Salt
- Small Bowl or Cup
- Container of Incense Ash
- Holy Water
- Protective Talismans, Amulets
- Angelica Root
- Rowan or Mountain Ash Tree Berry
- White Vinegar
- Cold Iron
"You like to think of
yourselves as complex creatures, but you're flawed.
One gains admittance to your minds through many levels - you have too many to
keep track of yourselves.
There are unguarded entrances
to any human mind."
Sylvia in "Catspaw" (1967)
from the Original Star Trek Series